At Victoria Lane Academy, we recognise the importance of science in every aspect of daily life. As a core subject, we give the teaching and learning of science the prominence it requires. We understand that children are naturally curious and we encourage this inquisitive nature, supporting them to develop and test their ideas and allowing them to develop their enquiry skills in relevant and inspiring contexts. Staff ensure that all children are exposed to high quality teaching and learning experiences. They are immersed in scientific vocabulary, to enhance their knowledge and understanding not only of the topic they are studying, but of the world around them. We intend to provide all children regardless of ethnic origin, gender, class, aptitude or disability, with a broad and balanced science curriculum.
Our successful approach to science teaching at Victoria Lane Academy provides a high-quality, engaging and challenging science education and ensures full coverage of the National Curriculum. Children are introduced to a wide range of scientific careers as a result of our community links and connections with national agencies such as Esero, STEM, Durham University and the Ogden Trust. Our work through our Space Education Quality Mark, Primary Science Quality Mark and our Shine Trust Project ensures children learn from and work with professionals from a range of different scientific backgrounds.
As a result, we aim to:
- Provide a high-quality science education embedded with meaningful, memorable learning experiences.
- Prepare our children for life in our increasingly scientific and technological world.
- Promote a love of science and inspiration to consider a future career in science.
- Increase pupil’s scientific knowledge.
- Develop pupil’s working scientifically skills.
- Enable pupils to build on and link prior learning with new learning.
- Science Intent, Implementation and Impact
- Science at VLA
- Science Detailed Curriculum Overview
- Science Coverage 2022-2023
- Enquiry Skills Progression
- Science Principles 2022
Further information about the Science projects we are involved with such as Space Camp, SHINE SIMMPLE Science project and STEMFEST 2020 can be found by clicking on the links below:
- SHINE SIMMPLE Science Project
- SHINE Project – The story behind it
- STEMFEST in Space 2020
- Northern Echo Link for Space Camp
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.